Monday, May 19, 2008

Chain Reaction

Memories of jee days and mummy daddy waiting outside the exam center comes flooding to my mind every year when I see parents of all jee/gate/cdeep etc etc aspirants waiting outside the convo or MB halls eagerly waiting and hoping to see their kids rushing out after exams smiling.

These aged men and women appear very godly and mystical with their eyes gleaming with the dreams of their children and their faces full of hope and prayers. It is really overwhelming to see how our parents nurture our aspirations in them and the way they calm us down but at the same time take the entire burden of the possibility of a setback on their shoulders. They live every moment of our success, they silently frown on our failures but they never let our spirits die.

Especially here in India, we remain financially dependent on our parents for a long time. But more than the monetary support, they treat us as a part of their existence even when we start growing old and when we are besieged by our own responsibilities. Their unlimited kindness and selflessness was flowing all around me today when the hostel was full of people in their thirties who came for Phd interviews accompanied by their parents and really compelled me to be able to express somehow the inexpressible amount of gratitude that I hold for my parents.

I wonder is there anything that I can do for my parents and call it even! I guess not. Some people may criticize the idea of supporting children financially and mentally after teenage a bit too much and bad for their coming years which they will have to tread alone and face their own challenges. But I feel, in our culture, it sets on a chain reaction and is a part of our learning as we grow up. It inspires us to go a little extra mile when it will be our turn to support our kids, multiply their happiness and divide their tensions.

2 comments:

Vartika said...

True all d way!
And being where I am right now and experiencing what I am going through, all that you said makes so much sense…and though it is so commonplace a phenomenon in our land, there are many times you just marvel at your parents and their willingness to move the world for you (if they had it!)!

Mehzabin said...

@vartika: I had read ur blog on mothers..and all the memories of last yr when my mom too had an operation came back rushing to me..i had felt pretty much the same :)